Polystyrene foam cutters, also known as hot wire foam cutters, are tools that use heated wire to cut through polystyrene foam. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to use, making them a popular choice for DIY hobbyists and professionals alike.
There are two main types of hot wire foam cutters: handheld and table-mounted. Handheld cutters are ideal for small projects, while table-mounted cutters are better suited for larger projects or projects that require more precision.
Here is a list of materials you will need to cut EPS packaging with a small hot wire thermocut tool:
- Hot wire foam cutter
- Power supply
- Styrofoam foam
- Cutting guide (optional)
- Wire brush
- Safety glasses and gloves
Here are the steps on how to cut EPS packaging with a small hot wire thermocut tool:
- Set up your cutting area. Make sure you have a well-ventilated area to work in. You should also cover your workspace with a protective mat to prevent damage to your work surface.
- Secure the foam. Place the foam on your cutting mat and secure it in place with weights or clamps.
- Attach the wire to the power supply. Connect the two ends of the wire to the positive and negative terminals of the power supply.
- Turn on the power supply. The wire should glow red hot.
- Slowly guide the wire through the foam. Start by making a straight cut along one edge of the foam. Once you have a starting point, you can start to cut more intricate shapes.
- Be careful not to touch the wire. The wire is very hot and can cause serious burns.
- Use a wire brush to clean the wire after each use. This will help to prevent the wire from sticking to the foam.
Here are some additional tips for cutting EPS packaging with a small hot wire thermocut tool:
- Use a low voltage power supply. A higher voltage will cause the wire to get too hot and can damage the foam.
- Use a sharp wire. A dull wire will not cut through the foam cleanly.
- Cut slowly. If you cut too quickly, the foam will melt and become difficult to control.
- Use a cutting guide. A cutting guide can help you to make straight and accurate cuts.
- Wear safety glasses and gloves. The wire can be sharp and can cause serious burns.
With a little practice, you can easily cut EPS packaging with a small hot wire thermocut tool.